New Kent Elementary School will hold its Kindergarten registration on April 10th from 9:30-11:00. Please bring the following items:
1. Birth Certificate, naturalization certificate, or visa.
2. Social security number (where applicable).
3. Immunization records and physical (must comply with current Virginia Department of Health guidelines).
4. If you are a separated or divorced parent, you must provide proof of custody at the time of registration.
5. An acceptable proof of residency (eg: a copy of a voter registration card, utility bill, rental agreement, or a copy of a contract for the purchase of a home).
6. Also, Please bring your child so they can meet with the Kindergarten teachers.
If you would like to download the necessary documents, please click here.
In February the New Kent County School Board began its formal search for a new Superintendent by conducting an anonymous survey and conducting a Public Hearing on February 24th. The board was seeking public input regarding the education, leadership skills, and personal characteristics that the staff and community would like to see in our next Superintendent.
A special thank you to the 296 people who took the time to complete the survey and attend our Public Hearing.
Following the tragic events in Newtown, a rigorous School Security Audit of our four
schools was conducted last year in coordination with both the New Kent Sheriff’s Department and
the Virginia State Police. Based on the report generated by the audit, the New Kent County School
Board appropriated funds to purchase and install locked security doors, cameras, and software
which will enable each building to “buzz” parents and visitors in remotely. Included in this letter is
a description of the “protocol” for these security doors which will go into effect on Monday, March
This change is consistent with our ongoing efforts to secure access to our buildings
throughout the school day. I thank you for your consistent support as we continually work to
improve the safety and security of our students and families in our schools. Please contact your
student’s school directly with any specific questions regarding this secured entry system.
Robert F. Richardson, Jr., Ed.D.
For The Security Doors Protocol please Click Here.
Ms. Melissa George is NKES' 2013
Teacher of the Year